Studying in Austria is a golden opportunity for the international students, as it offers them many study programs. In order to get accepted, students who do not master the German language have to pass supplementary exams. In this article, we will discuss everything related to the university preparation programs in Austria.
Check our article about how to enroll in an Austrian university.
The preparation programs are for the students who were admitted to study at an Austrian university but do not fulfill the German language requirement.
At first, students take intensive classes in the teaching language of the discipline they’ve chosen, either German or English language.
These classes aim to improve the language level until the student becomes fluent in speaking it to adapt to the university’s study program.
The program is also for the students who have to take supplementary examinations in subjects, such as English, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, history, and geography.
The cost of the preparation program lessons differs from one school or university to another.
There are many institutions and schools that offer these university preparatory programs in Austria, including the following:
The University Preparation Programs
Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research
The Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research (OeAD) offers a university preparation program, together with six universities in Vienna. Each year, around 900 students who were admitted in one of the six universities attend a university preparation program.
They join as non-degree program students.
- The program offers lessons in German as a foreign language, English, physics, and chemistry.
- As for the German language courses, there are five levels. Students have to take a test to determine their level and put them in a suitable course.
- Similar to the universities, each course lasts for a semester, ranging between 320 and 350 lessons and 24 hours per week.
- To join this program, you have to receive first the acceptance letter from the universities of Vienna. Without the acceptance letter, you can not register in the program.
- Each course costs around 1,160 EUR.
- Students have to pass written examinations three times per semester. Passing these exams qualifies the student to take oral exams. If the students fail to pass the written exams and get score 5, they can re-register up to 4 times.
- The cost of examinations of German, English, and mathematics is 50 EUR each, while the cost of the examinations of history, geography, biology, and chemistry is 35 EUR each.
- Completing and passing the program depends on the student’s level in the course subjects. Those who achieve an advanced level in the German language are able to complete the program in one semester.
Learn more at the OeAD.
There are other preparation programs as those offered by the SALLS Academy. It offers a number of courses in subjects in which students have to take supplementary examinations during several semesters. Students are categorized as per their level in the German language and other subjects.
- Costs differ according to the subjects, for example studying mathematics, physics, and chemistry costs 252 EUR per month. The costs of geography and history subjects reach 199 EUR per month.
- Students study 24 lessons each month. They have to reach B1 level in the German language. If they fail to do so, the academy offers language courses according to the student’s level.
Read more at the SALLS Academy website.
The university preparation programs in Austria are a precious opportunity, as they allow the students to be prepare well for the higher education phase. They also work on raising the congnitive and linguistic levels of the student.
Check our article about studying German in Austria to learn about the other schools that offer preparation for the Austrian universities.