Studying in Canada is a dream for many students. Thousands of students from countries around the world apply for study visa in Canada every year.
Indeed, many people seek to study and immigrate to Canada to obtain the higher and distinguished education that it offers.
In this article, we will tell you how to migrate to Canada to study and all that you must do. So, follow us.
Documents you need in order to study in Canada
The first thing that you need to do is to obtain a Canadianstudy permit because it acts like a visa for your stay in Canada.
However, if your study period does not exceed six months, you will not need such a permit. In this case, it is a good idea to still obtain it before going to Canada because you can decide to continue your studies, and without this permit, you will need to leave Canada to obtain it and then come back again.
Apply for a study permit in Canada
You must apply for Study Permit in Canada either via the internet or by filling in a special print out document that you can obtain from the Canadian Citizenship and Immigration website.
As a matter of fact, the visa office in your country provides special instructions about the documents that you need to provide. Moreover, you can get help from the nearest Canadian visa application center (VAC).
Process for getting a study visa in Canada
In order to obtain a study visa in Canada, there are things that you must do first:
- You must obtain an acceptance letter from the university or institute in which you intend to enroll. Basically, this letter will contain your course of study, its start date and the expected end date of your studies in Canada. Furthermore, you will know the registration deadline.It is worth noting that you must obtain an acceptance letter from the university before applying for a study permit. Please also note that the university or institute must be an officially recognized institution. You can find out more on the Canadian immigration website.
- You must obtain a request for a Canadian student visa, either from the CIC website or by contacting the local visa office. Moreover, you can obtain it from the Canadian embassy or consulate in your country. You may also need to obtain a temporary residence permit if you are from a specific country (you can find out if you need this from this link).
- In order to obtain your application, you will need to answer some questions about yourself on the Ministry’s website. Basically, these queries will determine whether you qualify for the online application for a Canadian student permit, and what documents you will need to apply. Afterward, if you are eligible, you will receive a personal reference code that is valid for 60 days. You will need to submit your application online. Moreover, be sure to print out the page containing the code for future reference. The page will also include information on the amount of the estimated tuition fee, a list of documents that you will need to provide with your application, as well as guidelines for your next steps.
- When you got approval, create a MyCIC account on the official website, where you enter the personal reference code. You will then receive a personal reference document that allows you to upload and send all documents to the CIC. You can do that using a printer or scanner.
- At last, once you have completed your documents, prepared the form and paid the special fees, you can submit your complete application to the CIC. Then, you might need to attend the interview at the local visa office.
Other important things you should know before applying for a study visa in Canada
- Applicants from some countries need to provide photographs and fingerprints.
- On the other hand, some applicants may also need to obtain a medical or police inspection before submitting their applications. As an illustration, you will not be able to obtain a study permit if you have a criminal record.
Conditions for obtaining a Canadian student visa
Conditions for obtaining a Canadian student visa also include proof of funds to support yourself.
Meanwhile, during this time you need to pay about $ 7070 for each year of your stay and $ 7780 if you are applying to study in Quebec on top of the tuition fee.
Besides, you will need to make sure you have enough money to pay for the transportation costs to return to your home country.
Basically, you can provide any of the following documents: bank statements, proof of your Canadian account if the money is transferred, bank transfer in convertible currencies, proof of payment of tuition fees. accommodation fees.
Besides, you can provide an email from a person or institution providing you with the money. Or a proof that you have paid funding for scholarship from within Canada.
After obtaining approval
When your Canadian student visa is approved, you will receive a letter informing you about this.
On the other hand, students from some countries may require an authorization form (ETA) or temporary residence visa. In this case, ETA will be linked to your passport.
Therefore, it is important that you have the passport that you used when applying for a study permit.
ETA will be valid for five years as long as your passport isvalid.
It is also important to provide ETA along with your passport, proof of your funds and letter of acceptance (and any other documents you have advised to take) to the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) in Canada.
Afterward, your Canadian study permit will be issued and allow you to access Canada.
Conditions to work in parallel with your studies
- You must have a valid study permit
- You must be enrolled in a recognized institution, in post-secondary school, or in Quebec, the vocational program at the secondary level
- The duration of your studies in the academic or vocational training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate must reach to six months
Moreover, you will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Canada Service to work in Canada. Or else it must obtain the benefits and services from government programs.
At last, your study permit becomes invalid 90 days after the completion of your study program. Hence, you will need to obtain a post-graduate work permit if you want to stay in Canada after your studies and look for work. It is valid for three years.